Investing in your own fitness equipment can be a great way to motivate yourself to reach your fitness goals. Adjustable kettlebells allow room for growth with your strength and workout without the bulky equipment that comes from larger machines. We will be taking a closer look at just why and how you should purchase your own adjustable kettlebell, as well as which ones rank in our top five to help you find the best adjustable kettlebell.
Best Adjustable Kettlebell Reviews 2017
- Empower 3 in 1 Adjustable Kettlebell
- PowerBlock Kettle Block
- Rocketlok 14-20 Adjustable Kettlebell
- CrossBell Adjustable Kettlebell
- Stamina 36-pound Adjustable Kettle Versa-Bell
5 Best Adjustable Kettlebells Quick Comparison
|Empower 3 in 1 Adjustable Kettlebell||5, 8, 12 lbs||10 x 9 x 7||A+|
|PowerBlock Kettle Block||5, 8, 12, 16, 20 lbs||13 x 11 x 10||A+|
|Rocketlok 24-36 Adjustable Kettlebell||24, 28, 32, 36 lbs||9 x 8 x 5,5||A+|
|CrossBell Adjustable Kettlebell||2,2; 11; 20; 35; 45 lbs||14 x 10 x 4,25||A|
|Stamina 36-Pound Adjustable Kettle Versa-Bell||6, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36 lbs||9 x 9 x 11||A|
** Below, you’ll find more detailed reviews, but you can click links above to see current prices and read customer’s review on Amazon
What Features Should The Best Adjustable Kettlebell Have?
There are three primary features you should look for when shopping for the best adjustable kettlebell. All three of them relate specifically to the handle of the kettlebell. These are both for the safety of your workouts and for your continued comfort so your workouts don’t fizzle out.
- Curved Handles: The handles on the best adjustable kettlebells are curved so you can grip it wherever you need to and alternate your workout routine freely.
- Smooth Finish: Some manufacturers will make their finishes smoother than others. Opt for a finish that is relatively smooth but with enough grip to keep your hands secure. This will vary depending on your personal preferences.
- Single Cast Mold: You will not want any seams on your adjustable kettlebell, particularly on the handle. Seams can tear into the skin on your hands, leaving you unable to continue your workouts until they heal.
Additionally, you want to search for a kettlebell made of metal, as the plastic versions can break easily. Plastic might work well for beginners who are still evaluating their commitment to kettlebells because of the lower price point, but metal versions will last longer.
Also, consider how easy the weights are to change and whether they remain secure throughout your workout. Weights that are loose in the base can clink when performing kettlebell swings, making an annoying sound.
Top 5 Best Adjustable Kettlebell Reviews
The Empower 3 in 1 Adjustable Kettlebell is one of the best adjustable kettlebell options available on the market for those who are interested in just entering the world of kettlebell workouts. The weights are relatively low, so the bell may be best designed for women with weights ranging from five pounds to twelve pounds.
- DESIGNED FOR WOMEN: 3-in-1 Kettlebell weight set is ergonomically designed for a woman's grip while performing smooth, controlled kettlebell workout
- PATENTED DESIGN: patented click and twist design effortlessly adjusts weights from 5 lbs to 8 lbs to 12 lbs
- KETTLEBELL WORKOUT BENEFITS: All-in-one total body workout tones hips, glutes, thighs, arms, shoulders and back. The increased range of motion improves flexibility and strength
- BURN MORE CALORIES: Kettlebell workouts are quick full-body movements that burn calories in half the time of traditional cross-fit training
- WHAT YOU GET: One 3-in-1 Kettlebell weight set, and a 'Swing Yourself Fit' total body workout DVD. 100% satisfaction guaranteed
The PowerBlock Kettle Block is a unique square design that allows you to adjust your workout as you continue to grow. It has a sleek design and excellent name brand recognition in the world of fitness.
The Roketlok 14-20 Adjustable Kettlebell is a solidly made bell constructed of heavy duty and long-lasting materials. The weights are excellent for active men who are just beginning with kettlebells or active to athletic women due to their slightly heavier base weight.
- Solid cast steel body and handle with weighted interior cylinders milled from sold steel. Molded polyurethane cap with easy slide locking mechanism keeps weights safely secured.
- Adjust weights from 24, 28, 32, 36 pound
- Adjustable kettlebell that retains the traditional shape
- No tools required to add or remove weight
- The balance and center of gravity stays consistent at all weight levels which is highly important
The Crossbell Adjustable Kettlebell is an interesting option because instead of using traditional weights that lock or slide into the bell itself, you fill it with a variety of other materials (water, sand, coins, or buckshot) to change the weight.
- HOW DOES IT WORK? Choose your weight - the CrossBell Kettlebell is specially designed with a Fill Hole so you can adjust the weight of the CrossBell using water, sand or gravel
- WEIGHT CHART: Empty 2.2 lbs. Water up to 11 lbs. Sand up to 20 lbs. Coins up to 35 lbs. Buckshot up to 45 lbs. Adjustable weight so that as you get stronger you can continuously challenge your body
- WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL WITH A PLASTIC KETTLEBELL? Virtually indestructible, light & environmentally friendly. Ergonomic grooves makes doing kettlebell exercises comfortable with less likelihood of injury
- A MUST HAVE FOR HOME FITNESS WORKOUTS? Train harder in less time. Unique shape challenges your balance and strength so that you get a better workout in less time. Shred Fat. Bring out your Abs.
- WANT THE FULL CrossBell KIT? One CrossBell is perfect in of itself. For the full CrossBell kit, simply order two CrossBell units + one CrossBell Bar + one set of CrossBell DVDs.
The Stamina 36-pound Adjustable Kettle Versa-Bell gives six levels of weight, available in four-pound increments with a sturdy iron construction and a 90-day warranty.
- Adjustable kettlebell provides six weight levels in four-pound increments; comes with square base pad holder
- Adjust weights from 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, and 36 pounds with patented weight adjustment system
- Cast iron handle grip offers one-handed or two-handed hold for varying exercises
- Sturdy rounded base can accommodate pushups
- Weight plates fit inside the kettlebell shell; 90-day warranty
Questions & Answers
What Does An Adjustable Kettlebell Do?
An adjustable kettlebell is a versatile piece of workout equipment that has the potential to work most of the core muscles in your body. A kettlebell swing, perhaps one of the more vigorous workout options with a kettlebell, can work your hips, glutes, hamstrings, core, shoulders, pecs, and your grip. It burns a lot of fat because of the number of muscle groups it works at one time.
A kettlebell swing can be an intense form of cardio for boosting your heart health as well. It allows you to burn fat, build muscle, and gain a greater degree of cardiovascular health all at the same time. Done properly, the swing is a low-impact form of fitness, ideal for those who have joint problems and find treadmills or stair steppers to be painful.
How Do You Do A Kettlebell Swing?
There are a number of ways to incorporate a kettlebell swing into your workouts. You can choose from one-handed swings, two-handed swings, or a combination of the two. Either way, the basic motion is the same. You begin by holding the adjustable kettlebell firmly with either one or two hands. Your feet should be spread slightly wider than hip distance. With a straight back, lean down into a squat position and swing the kettlebell between your feet and behind your body.
As you come up, continue to swing the kettlebell directly out in front of you until it reaches shoulder height. Your full body should now be in one straight line with arms directly out in front of you, perpendicular to your trunk.
Two handed swings with a lighter weight will be the easiest way to begin. One handed kettlebell swings are a step up in terms of difficulty. If and when you switch to one handed swings, be sure to work both sides of your body evenly.
What Other Exercises Can You Do?
While a kettlebell swing does give you the greatest cardio workout, there are several other ways you can incorporate an adjustable kettlebell into your workout routine. Kettlebells USA lists the following as acceptable and popular workouts for kettlebells:
- Overhead presses
- Bent presses
Each different type of workout will require a different weight of kettlebell. For movements like swings or tosses, the workout tends to be more explosive and allows you to use a heavier weight. Presses or windmills require more controlled movements that may mean a lighter weight or a smaller bell. Adjustable kettlebells are ideal for individuals who aren’t sure which workout type will suit them best. Because you can change the overall weight of the bell, you can switch from explosive movements to controlled ones in a matter of minutes without needing additional equipment.
What Size Do I Need?
The weight of the kettlebell that would be best suited to your body type will vary depending on your gender and the level of athleticism you currently feel you have. In this section, we will break down the best size ranges to look for on adjustable kettlebells for both men and women.
- Out of shape: 18 pounds
- Active: 35 pounds for ballistic workouts, 18 pounds for controlled workouts
- Athletic: 44 pounds for ballistic workouts, 26 pounds for controlled workouts
- Out of shape: 13 pounds
- Active: 18 pounds for ballistic workouts, 13 pounds for controlled workouts
- Athletic: 26 pounds for ballistic workouts, 18 pounds for controlled workouts
Of course, these weights are based on suggested starting weights for adjustable kettlebells. As you become more familiar with the movements and as your muscles become stronger, you will want to consider increasing the weight to keep your workouts challenging and to continue sculpting your muscles.
In the end, the best adjustable kettlebell award would have to go to the Empower 3 in 1 Adjustable Kettlebell. Unlike the CrossBell Adjustable Kettlebell and the Stamina 36-pound Adjustable Kettle Versa-bell, the Empower 3 in 1 Adjustable Kettlebell allows you to change the weight of the kettlebell quickly and easily. The weights also remain secure in the base without rattling around for a much quieter workout experience.
Overall, you get a sturdy adjustable kettlebell that is easy to use, quiet, and affordable, making the Empower 3 in 1 Adjustable Kettlebell the best adjustable kettlebell on the market.