While I was on my way to the gym last time, I happened to ran into Linda G. Grammer, an old friend of mine. We had not seen each other for a long time and so, we tried to catch up on that little time that we had.
My interest was caught when she told me she recently had an ankle injury but she has already recovered from it. She said that she had a hard time coping at first. However, when she discovered the best balance boards, she had slowly improved her problem. I got so curious, so I tried to ask her more about it.
In these balance board reviews, I am going to share with you how my friend found the right balance board among so many products on the market. But first, let me briefly introduce you how you can use a balance board to improve your health.
A balance board is also popular with the name wobble board. This is an exercise instrument that has a flat and hard surface that you can stand on, and an unstable rounded bottom that lets you exercise your balance.
Best Blance Board Quick Comparison
|Bosu Balance Trainer||26"|
|Simply Fit Board - The Abs Legs Core Workout Balance Board||26" x 11" x 0.75"|
|ProFitness Wooden Balance Board||15.5” x 3.1”|
|Revolution 101 Balance Board Trainer||30" x 11.5"||300 lbs||A+||$$|
|Indo Board Balance Board Original with Roller||30" x 18" x 3"|
Benefits of a Balance Board
Many athletes and fitness enthusiasts nowadays like to use balance boards since they obviously improve balance and coordination. With a good balance board also comes various physical benefits. Here are some of it:
- Equilibrium Repair. If you had an injury, your equilibrium or your center of balance is always affected. You will have a hard time focusing and maintaining your coordination leading to your inability to walk properly or even run. Using a balance board will help you restore your equilibrium so that you can work on your large motors skills and even your fine motor skills again.
- Coordination Improvement. A balance board helps improve your coordination by making your body parts work altogether to keep you from falling off the board.
- Reaction Speed. Using a balance board can help you work on your reaction speed. When you are on your board and you suddenly feel like you are about to fall off, you are able to act on it quickly to prevent yourself from slipping.
- Injury Prevention. There was a study published in a 2004 “American Journal of Sports Medicine” which discovered that training on a balance board helped women who played volleyball reduce the frequent occurrence of ankle sprains. Hence, using a balance board will make your ankles stronger and prevent you from getting easily sprained.
- Posture Improvement. Using a balance board helps increase your strength and stability especially in your core muscles. When this happens, your posture will also be improved since you are able to maintain proper spine position.
How to Stay Safe on Your Balance Board
Although balance boards are really helpful in improving your sense of balance, they could still be dangerous. If you fall or slip while you are on it, it may lead to something really serious so you have to be very careful. You need to always practice necessary precautions and only do what your body can handle.
To make your balance board training safer, here are some things you can do:
- Wear a safety gear. You can wear a bike helmet, skateboarding or basketball knee pads, wrist pads, elbow pads and any gear that can help you reduce the chance of injury in case something happens. This will not prevent you from falling or getting out of balance, but it will at least lessen the pain that it will cause you.
- Use the wall for support. If you are just learning how to use your balance board for the first time, it will be very helpful to use it close to a wall. The wall will serve as your support since you can put your hands on it while you rock back and forth on the board on your first ride.
- Keel a tall chair next to you. With a tall chair close to you, you can easily grab onto it for support once you feel like you are going to fall off your balance board.
- Hang a rope over your head. The rope will also serve as a good support for you to grab onto just in case you lose your balance.
Balance boards can either make or break you. Literally. Hence, you need to think very well whether or not you can handle the dangers it could cause.
How To Care For Your Balance Board
Besides you, your balance board also needs proper care so you can use them for a long, long time. As you should know, balance boards can shoot out even when you are on it, and can be launched into the air with so much velocity causing damage to your walls, your windows and anything it touches around you.
And of course, if that happens, it will also lead to your balance board getting destroyed. To prevent that from happening, here are some things you can do to help you preserve your balance board’s life and keep your environment safe:
- Stay in an open area. If you have a basement or a big open space around your house, it is best for you to use your balance board there. This will keep your board from damaging any valuable objects.
- Do not use your board on a concrete floor. Do not use your balance board on a concrete floor as it will easily wear and tear it.
- Do not use your board on flooring that can easily be damaged. You should not use your balance board on a flooring that can easily be torn or broken. An example of this flooring is a wooden floor. If your board suddenly slams down into the ground, it will surely bring damage onto the floor especially when the impact is strong.
- Use a carpet or a rug. Putting a carpet or a rug on the floor under the board will help prevent damage to the floor, and of course, to the board itself.
Best Balance Board Reviews
My friend, Linda, specifically liked the BOSU Balance Trainer because of its versatility. In case you want a balance board that will let you do more than balancing your body, we are sure that this is a good product that is definitely worth a try. Its name BOSU means “Both Size Utilized” making it a pretty versatile trainer that will let you do a lot of things.
This trainer comes with a manual that is easy to follow. The manual consists of exercises that use balance and stabilisation techniques. These techniques will challenge your cardiovascular system, improve your muscle strength, test your endurance and flexibility.
Whether you are a beginner or an advanced user, you won’t have to worry because the manual has proper modifications to appropriate techniques for any fitness level.
For instance, this trainer can help you maintain your centre of gravity while performing an exercise, but if you want to work more on the core muscles of your body, and improve your whole body strength and balance, you can use this trainer to perform exercises that will help you achieve those results.
To explain further, let us focus on its design. Design wise, this trainer has an inflated rubber dome that is attached to a rigid platform. You can either use it dome-side up to improve your lower body strength and work on your core, or you can use the platform side to work on your upper body.
While you do that, you can add hand-held weights to perform arm, shoulder, and chest exercises. You can also perform squats, lunges, and leg exercises. These exercises will make your muscles engage more which will then improve your body strength.
Aside from that, one of our favorite things about this trainer is the DVD that comes with it. The DVD features the Xplode Cross-Training Series. These series are long workout sessions with more challenging activities.
When I asked Linda which balance board she found very affordable, she introduced me to Simply Fit Board. This dynamic exercise tool is available for only $40 below, and ensures to give your abs, legs, and your entire core a good workout.
This trainer comes in four different colours which are attractive to the eye. Compared to the first trainer in this list, this looks like an actual balance board. Although it is lightweight, this board can support up to 400 lbs. It is also designed with a slim body which means you can easily put it away after use.
When you use this board, you can lift hand weights while you balance yourself to increase your muscle strength. If you bend your knee a little or do a twisting motion, it will engage your entire core and tone your abs and legs.
Once you have mastered that, you can also do more challenging workouts such as planking, doing squats and push ups while you balance yourself on the board.
Linda also recommends the ProFitness Wooden Balance Board for its very reasonable price. It is one of the cheapest balance boards, and it also ensures that you achieve the exercise your body needs by strengthening your core and helping you easily recover from any injuries.
This balance board is a total game changer. You know what makes it unique? It’s obvious by the way it is designed. It is made of wooden surface that is very lightweight and portable (3.1 lbs) but can still hold up to 330 lbs.
When you use this trainer, you are able to maintain your balance and improve your coordination without worrying about your safety, all thanks to its anti-slip safety top. You can do any exercise that will help tone your abs, legs and arms, and you can even do yoga poses while you are on it. Being able to do these things without slipping will then make you become more susceptible to injuries and other health problems.
4.Revolution 101 Balance Board Trainer
This trainer will challenge your exercise skills on a more extreme level. It is because it comes with a strong but lightweight poly-wrapped roller that will make the board spin in any direction while you are on it. If you are into any board sports such as snowboarding, surfing, and paddling, this is going to be a fun and challenging way to improve your balance and body control.
If you are into weight training or calisthenics, training yourself on this board will strengthen your core muscle groups most especially your stomach and your waist, as well as improve your overall stability.
On the other hand, if you are into sports that involve a lot of movements such as hockey, gymnastics, dancing, and martial arts, using this balance board will also help you enhance the sense of stability that you need to successfully perform, and will make you recover your balance faster than anyone.
Design wise, this trainer features a soft-trak covered top. This will make you feel very comfortable even when you are not wearing any footwear on top of it. The stops on both of its sides of the base will keep you from going too far off of the edge.
Here is another high-quality product that my friend really likes. The Indo Board Balance Board is one of the finest, yet the most expensive trainer in this list. It comes in a simple, yet high-quality design that consists of oval wooden deck made of cabinet grade, Baltic Birch wood and a plastic-molded roller.
One of the things that make this balance board remarkable to many people is its popularity among many professional athletes, fitness trainers, physical therapists and rehabilitation practitioners who have tried and used it. Some surfers have even revealed this board as their first even “surfboard”.
Initially, it was being used mainly by people who engage in board sports. However, it has now began to be used widely in all types of sports, even in just normal activities. Using it is fun yet very challenging. To get the most out of it and achieve the results you are really aiming for, you have to keep trying and engaging in it more often.
Whether you want to be a professional athlete or you just want to improve your physical health in general just like my friend, Linda, using a balance board will definitely help you a lot. Linda can attest to that. Her condition has improved as she continued using balance boards.
Not only that, she has even maintained and enhanced her sense of stability and coordination. Nevertheless, whatever your goals are, you really need to think very well and determine which trainers best suit your needs.
I am hoping that our best balance board reviews will help and guide you in finding the right trainer for you. If I missed any products that you think should be included in our list, please feel free to let me know by commenting on the box below. Otherwise, if you think our list is great, please don’t forget to click the “like” button and share this article with your friends. Thank you!